Sunday, October 16, 2011

Doors: the Mundane, the Beautiful


I have a thing for doors...and doorways by association I suppose. I don't know what it is exactly. We use them daily, rarely minding their significance. Granted, most, especially in today's seemingly linear architectural culture, are unremarkable. But when I come across one, slathered with an unusual hue of teal, with height and grandeur fit for a sultan, exquisite details made only possible with expert hands, fastened with heavy brass, rusted knobs, I stop, awe and wonder.

What is it about doors that I love? Perhaps it's the knowledge that doors are portals, keepers of century-old secrets. Doors posses our history behind them. They contain passion, tears, laughter. Maybe that's why I adore them - they're powerful, discrete, and guardians.

So the next time you come across one that catches your eye, stop. Stop, even for just a moment. Try to piece together its true stories. Create one of your own. If you're hosting a party...don't forget to decorate the door/doorway. I'm certain that a threshold paid some attention to, will foster wonderment, happiness, and excitement amongst all those who pass through and enter.

All images via Pinterest















No comments:

Post a Comment