Monday, November 21, 2011

Say 'I Love You': {Love poetry}

Personalized Ribbon from The Lonely Heart
'I Love You' can be said a multitude of ways. My husband and I used poetry in our wedding program, ceremony, speeches, and even thank you cards...where ever we wanted to be reminded and to remind others.

If you want to incorporate love poetry into your wedding, here are some beautiful poems. We used each one.

Touched by An Angel
We, unaccustomed to courage 
exiles from delight 
live coiled in shells of loneliness 
until love leaves its high holy temple 
and comes into our sight 
to liberate us into life. 

Love arrives 
and in its train come ecstasies 
old memories of pleasure 
ancient histories of pain. 
Yet if we are bold, 
love strikes away the chains of fear 
from our souls. 

We are weaned from our timidity 
In the flush of love's light 
we dare be brave 
And suddenly we see 
that love costs all we are 
and will ever be. 
Yet it is only love 
which sets us free 
Maya Angelou (1928 - present)

Love is the emblem of eternity; it confounds all notion of time; 
effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.
Madame de StaĆ«l (1766 – 1817)

Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm. For love is as strong as death, its jealousy as enduring as the grave. Love flashes like fire, the brightest kind of flame. Many waters cannot quench love, nor can rivers drown it. If a man tried to buy love with all his wealth, his offer would be utterly scorned.
Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Love Sonnet 17 
I don't love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz or arrow of carnations that propagate fire: I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul. I love you as the plant that doesn't bloom, and carries hidden within itself the light of those flowers, and thanks to your love, darkly in my body lives the dense fragrance that rises from the earth. I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where, I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I know no other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you; so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close.
Pablo Neruda (1904 - 1973)



No comments:

Post a Comment