You've heard about it. You've seen others participate in it. Perhaps you're an avid moustache growing, moustache sprouting Movemberian. So what does the moustache symbolize?
This hip, moustache movement began in Melbourne, Australia, and has spread worldwide, inspiring more than 1.1 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas to raise awareness and funds for the health of men, specifically prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer Facts
Prostate cancer is:
- The most common cancer among Canadian men - it will afflict 1 in 7 men and is a greater threat for those with a family history of the disease
- Turning up in men in their 40s
- Going to be diagnosed in about 25,500 men this year, not including cases that go undiagnosed due to men's unwillingness to go for annual check-ups
- Develops as a result of dietary, environmental and heredity factors (more research is needed to identify its causes and prevent the disease)
- Often without symptoms in its earliest, most curable stage – making annual testing ever more important
- Thought to be a potentially preventable cancer in many cases, but more research is needed
If you'd like to raise money, check out your local Movember website for more information.
Movember United States