Wednesday, May 9, 2012

{Real Life} A Virtual Birthday Present

Today is my brother, Daniel's, birthday. He's 30. He lives in Australia. Although this is a happy day for me, there are also moments of sadness because I can't celebrate this 'big' birthday with him. So....I created, what I call, a Virtual Birthday Present to express to him how much we love him and that we're thinking about him on his special day.

Check it out here! Happy Birthday Danilo

This is what I did to create it:

  • I created a blog using Blogger.com. I chose the Dynamic template and used the Magazine subtheme. I also customized the look a bit - changed the background colour, the font colour, etc. I wanted to get rid of the timestamp, since I didn't want the blog to look like a regular blog, whereby blog entries are in chronological order. I wanted more of a static, website look. I did some searching on google, and I read that there's a way to get rid of the timestamp in Blogger. Unfortunately, I don't understand html talk much at all, so I couldn't figure it out.


  • Everyone loves ballons, right? So I went to the a local dollar store that sells helium balloons. I bought a package of 15 assorted balloons and had them all 'heliumanized'. I drew on some of the balloons - Happy 30th Birthday (on separate balloons), as well as a cupcake and a candle.




  • I created a photoshoot on my street. To take pictures such as the one here, I used a tripod. As you can tell, I like wide-angle kind of shots. That's why many of the photos have tons of sky in them. I work on a Mac, so I edited my photos using iPhoto. For more powerful editing capabilities, I need to learn how to use Photoshop. That's on my 'To-Do' list for the summer.






  • For the videos, I used my Nikon D5000 to record my parents and Brandon. My video was recorded using the built-in camera on my Macbook. I used iMovie to edit the videos. The background music is from The Slakadeliqs album, The Other Side of Tomorrow. To check our more of their music, visit their website --> The Slakadeliqs.



  • Last but not least, I created a list of 30 things that are unique to my brother, the things that cannot be duplicated; those special memories and characteristics that make him him!


And voila! a Virtual Birthday Present!

Check it out: Happy Birthday Danilo

No comments:

Post a Comment